The main ingredient of this lesson plan is a culinary clip from PES, a director who is well known for his use of everday objects in colourful stop-motion animations. Some links to other videos: Human skateboard; Prank call; Kaboom!; Fireworks; Game over; Drowning nut Other links: www.EatPES.com (official website); Interview with PES
- Language level: Pre-intermediate (A2) +
- Learner type: Teens; Adults; CLIL
- Time: 30 minutes (+ Follow up)
- Activity: Reading (+ Writing follow up)
- Topic: Food & cookery
- Language: The imperative
- Materials: Video; Worksheet
Lesson plan outline
- Tell students that you have a recipe for them. Give out copies of the worksheet (Mystery recipe) – see below. This is included in the PDF download.
- Ask your students if they can tell what is missing from the recipe (answer = the ingredients).
- Tell students that you want them to guess/work out what the missing ingredients are. This could be done in pairs or small groups.
- While students complete the worksheet, help with any unknown words or problematic vocabulary. Alternatively, allow access to dictionaries.
- Let students compare their answers and conduct a feedback. Pay close attention to singular, plural, countable and uncountable forms.
- If you have students who cook, ask them if this is how they would prepare pasta or spaghetti. Find out what they would do differently.
- Show the video.
- Ask students to recall as many of the objects in the video as possible. In many cases, they won’t know the names and will have to rely on descriptions.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
To prepare the ___________________ (1):
- Turn on the gas and place a pot of water on the heat
- Add some ___________________ (2)
- When the water starts to boil, add a handful of _________________(1)
- After boiling for about 10 minutes, the ___________________ (1) should look like rubber bands – this means that it is ready.
- Drain the ___________________ (1) in a colander
To prepare the sauce:
- Add some ____________________ (3) to a frying pan
- Chop a clove of ____________________ (4) and add it to the hot ___________________ (3)
- Add a few ripe ____________________ (5) and squash them with a wooden spoon
- Stir the sauce
- Take a __________________________________________ (6) (perhaps you grow this in your own house or garden), chop it up finely and add it to the sauce
- Add a ______________________________________________ (7) to sweeten
- Melt some ____________________ (8) into the sauce
- Transfer the ____________________ (1) to a plate
- Add a good-sized spoonful of sauce
- Grate some ____________________ (9) on top
- Season with ____________________ (10)
- Light a candle, sit down and enjoy your meal!