Cartoons are fantastic for using in the language class, especially to teach prepositions of accident! Coyote and Road Runner is an old favourite. In this clip, some clever person has manipulated the original cartoon to give it a surprise ending. The lesson plan exploits that fact.
- Language level: Intermediate (B1) +
- Learner type: Young learners; Teens; Adults
- Time: 60 minutes
- Activity: Reading; Text reconstruction
- Topic: Cartoons
- Language: Present simple; Third person singular; Verb + preposition
- Materials: Video; Slideshow; Worksheet
Lesson plan outline
For this activity, students are shown images of key scenes from the cartoon. In each case, they are presented with two possible outcomes – one in Coyote’s favour and the other in Roadrunner’s. Students have to predict the outcomes before reconstructing key elements from the text. All images and texts are provided in the PDF slideshow (above).
Here are the four scenes and the language presented in combination with them:
Scene one: Boomerang (1:56) What happens here?
- Coyote throws the boomerang. But a second boomerang hits him on the back of the head. Coyote looks around and sees Roadrunner. Roadrunner runs away. Coyote is about to chase him when his own boomerang returns and also hits him on the back of the head.
- Coyote throws the boomerang. The boomerang hits Roadrunner on the back of the head and knocks him out. Coyote jumps up and down on Roadrunner and then blows him up with dynamite.
Scene two: School crossing (2:18) What happens here?
- Roadrunner thinks that Coyote is a child crossing the road and stops to let him past. Coyote grabs Roadrunner, jumps up and down on him and then blows him up with dynamite.
- Roadrunner runs past and knocks Coyote to the ground. Roadrunner then returns to the scene. He is dressed as a schoolgirl and holds a sign that says, “ROAD RUNNERS CAN’T READ”. Roadrunner says, “Beep beep” and then runs away.
Scene three: Rock (3:13) What happens here?
- Coyote pulls out the keystone. The rock falls on top of Roadrunner and crushes him. Coyote runs down and grabs Roadrunner. Coyote then puts Roadrunner in a sandwich and eats him.
- Coyote pulls out the key stone. The rock falls the wrong way and lands on top of Coyote. It crushes him. Roadrunner runs past and says, “Beep beep!”
Scene four: False tunnel (3:35) What happens here?
- Miraculously, Roadrunner passes through the tunnel. Coyote doesn’t understand how this is possible. He tries it for himself. Unfortunately for Coyote, it doesn’t work for him. He runs into the rock. This knocks him out and he falls to the ground.
- Roadrunner runs into the rock. This knocks him out and he falls to the ground. Coyote jumps up and down on him and then blows him up with dynamite.