Posted 2/8/11
I don’t teach very young learners. But recently, I worked with a great group of kindergarten teachers from Catalunya and Galicia. Here we are doing the Two Little Birds song. The tune is taken from another song that I used to sing at school but I can’t remember specifically what it was. I made the video in an attempt to demonstrate some ways in which instructions can be made interactive.
  • Language level: Beginner to elementary
  • Learner type: Young learners
  • Activity: Drawing; Singing
  • Topic: Children’s song
  • Language: Instructions (imperatives, etc.)
  • Materials: Materials free (almost)
Two little birds pdf [downloaded 3228 times]

Lesson plan (outline)

1. Give out two little pieces of paper to each student. Ask students to draw two little birds, one on each piece of paper.
  2. Give out pieces of Blu Tack and ask students to stick their birds on their index fingers.
  3. Teach students the song and magic trick to accompany it (see video above).
There were two little birds
Sitting on a wall
One called Peter
And one called Paul
Fly away Peter
Fly away Paul
Come back Peter
Come back Paul

Posted 2/8/11

15 Responses to 2 little birds

1. Fiona says:

great lesson again Jamie :-). I remember that song from my chilldhood too

Hello Fiona. In my head I have confused the words (of two little birds) with the melody of a different song. Do you know where the melody is from?

3. Graciela says:

Hello,
    I used this activity with my 7 year old students.They enjoyed it very much.
    Can’t wait for the next one.
    Graciela

Thanks for sharing Graciela
    I wonder if your students worked out the trick.
    All the best

5. Cornelia says:

Hello, Jamie
    I have adapted this lesson to young pupils-age 8. We had a project related to butterflies and we had a great activity. The children were really excited and they enjoyed their work. They coloured and cut the butterflies, they stuck them on their index finger and they played with them while they were telling the poem. I teach young students and they really liked the activity.
    Best wishes, Cornelia
    Two little butterflies sitting on a tree…
    One name’s Lucy, one name’s Jill
    Fly away, Lucy
    Fly away,Jill
    Come back, Lucy
    Come back, Jill
    I can send you the link for the project’s working space.
    Cornelia and team

Hello Cornelia
    I like your variation. Good idea to extending it to other flying animals. Thanks for sharing

7. Noemi says:

It sounds to me like the melody of Five Fat Sausages…

Five fat sausages? Is it like 10 green bottles.
    You will have to record yourself singing it Noeminand then post it this way!

9. eylem says:

I remember that lesson and how we enjoyed even though we are above 30 :)

Thanx for your creativity Jamie..

Hello Eylem
    Yes – 2 little birds is for grown-ups as well!

11. Natalia says:

I’m so happy I found your site! It’s my second visit only but I’m already hooked! Thank you in advance! I’m going to use this lesson with “my” kids in Poland :) I’m sure they will love it.
    I did “Angry monkeys” with my adult group of learners and it was very successful. Thank you again! :)

Great to hear it Natalia
    I have a few more lessons to upload in the next few weeks
    Thanks for your comment

13. Tessa Estévez says:

Wonderful lesson for young learners! Thanks so much. I’ll give it a go tomorrow with my students. :)

14. Sue Goodrick says:

Im going to try this with my 5 – 7 year olds. Thank you. How would you follow this up to reinforce learning?
    PS I remember the rhyme as:

Two little dickiebirds sitting on a wall,
    One named Peter the other named Paul
    Fly away Peter. Fly away Paul.
    Come back Peter. Come back Paul.

When I learnt it there was no tune but there were hand movements – similar to “here is the church here is the steeple open the doors and here are the people”

Thanks Sue
    Yes – the tune is one that I remember from my childhood. I don’t remember what the song was. But one day I found myself singing it in the shower with the words to Two Little Birds.
    A follow up? That for you to decide Sue. Although I behave like one sometimes, I don’t teach 5 – 7 year olds!
    Good luck