I don’t teach very young learners. But recently, I worked with a great group of kindergarten teachers from Catalunya and Galicia. Here we are doing the Two Little Birds song. The tune is taken from another song that I used to sing at school but I can’t remember specifically what it was. I made the video in an attempt to demonstrate some ways in which instructions can be made interactive.
- Language level: Beginner to elementary
- Learner type: Young learners
- Time: 20 minutes
- Activity: Drawing; Singing
- Topic: Children’s song
- Language: Instructions (imperatives, etc.)
- Materials: Materials free (almost)
Lesson plan (outline)
- Give out two little pieces of paper to each student. Ask students to draw two little birds, one on each piece of paper.
- Give out pieces of Blu Tack and ask students to stick their birds on their index fingers.
- Teach students the song and magic trick to accompany it (see video above).
There were two little birds
Sitting on a wall
One called Peter
And one called Paul
Fly away Peter
Fly away Paul
Come back Peter
Come back Paul